The trademark of the Department of Accounting is its dedication in all areas of accounting: tax, audit, accounting information systems, industry, and government. The Department of Accounting is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
We are committed to preparing students for career development, life-long learning, and a global work environment. They strive to produce graduates who are technically competent, think independently, critically appraise situations, act in a responsible and ethical manner, and contribute positively and cooperatively to their employers and communities.
Many accounting graduates work in public accounting firms, Fortune 500 companies and government agencies. They are leaders in industry who have become CEOs, CFOs, COOs, and owners of corporate entities.
Our students learn to critically appraise situations, act responsibly and ethically, as well as become a strategic thinker and problem-solver. The "learn today, apply tomorrow" classroom philosophy is achieved within an accommodative and supportive learning environment that includes:
- Alternative modes of student-teacher communication
- Different methods of course delivery
- Flexible class scheduling and office hours
Students generate valuable industry contacts by participating in our student chapters of:
- ISACA Student Group (IT Audit and Assurance, Security and Governance)
- National Association of Black Accountants
- ALPFA - Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
- Beta Alpha Psi
- IMA – Institute of Management Accountants