BCIS 2610: Introduction to Computers in Business
Instructor: Dr. Richard Vedder, Professor of Information Technology
If you are
registered for Section 001 (Tues.): Your tutor/grader is: .
BCIS 2610.001 T 2-5, BLB 080
EMAILING YOUR ASSIGNMENTS --
Start your Subject line with your section number (xxx), and
then with whatever the given assignment requests.
instead, you send your homework to me, you will lose 10% off the top for not
following the assignment’s instructions.
CoB Labs Tutor Hours (in BLB 131) --
MS Office Professional Academic 2013 (and Windows) for FREE --
NOTICE FOR STUDENTS USING A NEW PC RUNNING WINDOWS 8. For this class, use the (traditional) Desktop View interface, not the new Apps/Tiles View (just touch/click on the Desktop tile). Install all MS Office 2013 products from within the Desktop View. Project 2010 installs fine within Windows 8.
1. UNT students can obtain a free copy of Office 2013 and a copy of Windows 8.1 for FREE using the instructions provided here: . You must have a valid UNT e-mail address (ie, firstname.lastname@example.org), AND you must be currently enrolled at UNT and be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request.
2. Visit this site using a Windows PC or a Mac with Windows installed. Follow the instructions shown. When you place an order Microsoft will create for you a unique PRODUCT KEY (an alpha-numeric set of characters). You need the product key to authenticate your installed software. NOTE that Windows and Office are two different products will have two different product keys. Write down your product key and store in a safe place! If you are acquiring software using a Windows PC, or a Mac with Windows installed, continue with the instructions provided. Microsoft will send you an “image file,” which contains a complete copy of the software as it would appear on a physical DVD disc. The file format will be either .ISO or .IMG. After completing the download, right-click on the file and select Mount from the context menu. Windows will create a virtual hard drive, assign it a drive letter, and load the contents of the image file. Use Windows File Explorer to locate the file that will begin the installation (usually Startup.exe) and double-click on it.
3. If you are acquiring Windows 8 software using an Apple Mac that does not have Windows installed, DO NOT TRY DOWNLOADING WINDOWS FROM THIS SITE, AS THE INSTALLATION SOFTWARE WILL NOT RUN ON A MAC. Leave this site after Microsoft assigns you a Product Key for your copy of Windows. Instead, follow the instructions posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arg9C5dIdVA
4. Most Windows keyboards that use a USB connector will work with Macs running Windows. The following are the primary key differences between a Windows keyboard, and Mac:
SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR MORE FREE SOFTWARE
ALL ASSIGNMENTS TO YOUR SECTION’S
GRADER (see above). If
you email them to me, there will be a 10% grade penalty (i.e., a lost letter
grade) – plus you risk me not being able (for unforeseen reasons)
to forward your work to the grader by the due date.
3. I will send out from time to time BROADCAST EMAILS to everyone in the class, using the UNT Bulkmail System. This system delivers messages into the unt_course_messages folder in your Eagle Connect account. As with all official UNT mail, you are held responsible by UNT for knowing the contents of each message, even if you did not read it. So when school’s in session, check your Eagle Connect account daily!
4. CAMPUS CLOSURES: Should UNT close campus, it is your responsibility to keep checking your official UNT e-mail account (EagleConnect) to learn if your instructor plans to modify class activities, and how.
5. COMPUTER SECURITY ARTICLE: Click here to read an interesting article about the wide range of threats to your computer.
This course adheres to the UNT policy on academic integrity. The policy can be found at http://vpaa.unt.edu/academic-integrity.htm
WHERE TO GO FOR ADDITIONAL HELP --
2610 Tutors work in the BLB 13x suite. CoB posts their office hours at the CoB labs, on hallway bulletin boards, and online at the CoB site. For what I have received as a tutorial schedule, please click here (pdf).
EXAM STUDY GUIDES --
There are lots of possible exam questions posted inside the BCIS 2610 folder on the College of Business’ S-drive, accessible either from a CoB Lab (not UNT General-Purpose Labs) or using a CoB VM machine image.
GRADED ANSWER SHEETS --
We destroy all exams after grading. If you want to look at your answers, make an appointment with the tutor/grader to do so.
It is VERY UNLIKELY that you
would see the exact same question from a midterm used again in the optional
MY TAKE ON ADDITIONAL FREE SOFTWARE YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER --
I suggest that you run one major anti-everything software program, plus some additional specialty programs, because running two majors at the same time can cause conflicts, especially of you do not know what you are doing.
Major Anti-Everything: Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
Specialty Programs: Malwarebytes Free Edition (good vs. keyloggers, for example). WinPatrol alerts you when software wants to change your startup; you can also control how your computer starts up. RoboForm Free Version is an excellent protected password storage program. Truecrypt is excellent when you want to encrypt files, folders or even drives.
UTILITY PROGRAMS –
7-Zip for compressing files. SugarSync if you need more cloud storage than your UNT SkyDrive account. CCleaner for removing the software debris that slows performance over time. Belarc Advisor and PCWizard will tell you more than you might ever have dreamed about what is inside your computer. Earth Alerts is good for weather information.
MEDIA PROGRAMS –
Audacity for recording and editing audio. VLC Media Player will accept almost any media format.