The Department of Finance, Insurance, Real Estate and Law offers a variety of competitive scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students majoring in either finance, real estate or risk, insurance and financial services. Eligible students will have completed at least one or more semesters at UNT and have a good academic record. Scholarships awards are determined by the department’s scholarship committee, and amounts vary based on available funding. If you have a specific question about FIREL scholarships, contact Michelle.Bennett@unt.edu, 940.565.3050.
You may also apply for scholarships awarded by the College of Business. These scholarships require a separate online application. To learn more, click here: http://www.cob.unt.edu/scholarships/scholarship_info.php
General eligibility requirements for FIREL Departmental scholarships are listed in this section; however, some scholarships may have eligibility criteria which exceed these requirements or require additional information. Please check the list of specific scholarships below to ensure you meet ALL of the requirements for each scholarship for which you wish to be considered.
- Be a full time student.
- Have a major in either Finance, Real Estate, or Risk, Insurance and Financial Services. (A degree plan should be on file with the college if you are majoring in one of these fields.)
- Have completed at least 24 credit hours at UNT at the time of award.
- Have taken and passed basic principles course in major field (FINA 3770, RMIN 2500, or REAL 2100).
- Have a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA.
- Be a full time student.
- Have a major in either Finance or Real Estate [MBA-Flex]. (A degree plan should be on file with the college if you are majoring in one of these fields.)
- Have completed at least 9 graduate credit hours at UNT at the time of award. Only three of the nine hours completed may be deficiency/leveling classes.
- Have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA.
All students awarded scholarships must sign and return a Scholarship Acceptance Agreement and provide a thank you letter to the scholarship donor.
How to Apply
Please submit the following information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- REQUIRED: A completed online scholarship application linked below.
- REQUIRED: To be considered for the E.W. “Woody” Young Financial Planning Scholarship for RIFS-financial services students, you must submit a 500-600 word essay describing how you are deserving of an award. (Upload with application. Include your name and student ID# in the document header.)
- REQUIRED: To be considered for the TAAEF Larry Niemann and AATC Jonetta Vise scholarships for residential property management students, you must submit the following materials:
- A typed essay of 500 words or less about why you have chosen to take a residential property management class and how you think this course/courses will prepare you for the business world.
- A letter of recommendation from a UNT faculty member.
- A letter of recommendation from a personal reference (no relatives, please).
- OPTIONAL: A complete resume including work experience, activities and educational background. (Upload with application.)
- OPTIONAL: A typed personal statement or statement of financial need. (Upload with application.)
Include your name and student ID# in each document.
Application deadline is March 1 at 5:00 PM.
Available FIREL Department Scholarships
Scholarships Requiring Separate Application
Risk, insurance & financial services majors
See RIFS advisor for current application/eligibility information about the following scholarships.
- CPCU Loman Foundation Scholarship
- Dallas Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Scholarship
- Dallas-Fort Worth Risk and Insurance Management Society Scholarship
- Fort Worth Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Scholarship
- Insurance Council of Texas Scholarship